Tentative date of exam notification:- March/April
Tentative date of filling forms: April /May
Tentative date of exam: July
The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in collaboration with Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research(PGIMER), Chandigarh hold a National level examination for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), for Indian national candidates
A total of 150 Fellowships are awarded. [120 fellowships in the field of Biomedical Sciences with emphasis on Life Sciences (like microbiology, physiology,molecular biology, genetics, human biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, biophysics, immunology, pharmacology, zoology, botany, environmental sciences and veterinary Medicine (excluding Agriculture extension/Soil Sciences, etc) and 30 fellowships for the work with emphasis on Social Sciences like psychology, sociology, home science, statistics anthropology, social work, public health/health economics (agriculture economics will not be considered)]
Pattern of ICMR JRF.
The exam paper contains 2 Sections. Section I (A) has 50 questions and are compulsory for all candidates with each question carrying 1 mark.
Sections II and III pertain to Life Sciences (B) and Social Sciences (C). The candidate may attempt questions in one of the two sections (II (B) or III (C)).
Each division of Section II (B) or Section III (C) has 100 questions and the candidate is to attempt any 75 questions in Section B or C.
In case a candidate attempts more than 75 questions in Section II (B) or Section III (C), only thefirst 75 attempted answers will be considered for evaluation.
Syllabus of ICMR JRF
although questions are NOT asked from any prescribed syllabus but you can take references of CSIR NET SYLLABUS with special emphasis on modern biology subjects like molecular biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetic Engineering, Immunology, Microbiology, Genetics
Eligibility for ICMR JRF
Educational Qualification: MSc/MA or equivalent degree with minimum 55% marks for General/OBC candidates and 50% for the SC/ST & Physically Handicapped (PH) and Visually Handicapped (VH) candidates in the subjects mentioned above. Candidates appearing in the final year examination (2017-2018) can also apply.
5. Age Limit: The upper age limit for admission to the eligibility test is 28 years as on 30-09-2018 (relaxable up to five years in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST/PH/ VH/female candidates and three years in the case of OBC
6. Cutoff for ICMR JRF
Tips & tricks to crack ICMR JRF
1. Start preparing for exam at least 4 months before the date of ICMR JRF
2. Keep Solving and analyzing-It is advisable that you solve full length mock test papers and Go through all previous years papers of ICMR JRF to have an understanding what to prepare for ICMR JRF . It will develop an understanding in you about your performance in actual ICMR JRF exam where you exactly stand ICMR JRF
Students must try to solve the test in iguruji online app downloadable from google playstore and make yourself adaptable to ICMR JRF .
3. Refer the good text books for Clearing the concepts-Students must clear their concepts with the help of good books and updated study material like AADHAR INSTITUTE STUDY MATERIAL FOR ICMR JRF so as not to face hurdles during the exam. The questions in ICMR JRF are designed to bring out your understanding and basic knowledge of biotechnology. Try to be more concise and precise over concepts and basic knowledge rather than running on path of blind learning and going through everything.
4.Make a schedule for Revision and tests –The regular revision matters a lot more than any other things during the preparation time. Watch iguruji video for making strategy and schedule for ICMR JRF you must revise all the topics which you have studied during this entire course of preparation. At many points you will find that remembering all the things simultaneously becomes hard; make short key words based notes and map notes to quickly revise all points. Keep on appearing for video supported tests for ICMR JRF on iguruji app
5. For part A of ICMR – JRF, Give a special preparation with 9 th, 10 th level general science, 11th&12 thchemistry, biostatistics.
For part B of ICMR – JRF, Prepare will all modern topics from CSIR-NET syllabus like molecular biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetic Engineering, Immunology, Microbiology, Genetics and Most Importantly tools & Techniques.
6. Proper time management In 2 hours of exam time, you need to attempt 50 (compulsory) + 75 out of 100 so have a practice of managing time by practicing more & more questions
By Keeping in mind that There will be negative marking @25% for each wrong answer
Take the help of iguruji video for ICMR JRF and online test series for ICMR JRF to give extra strength to your preparation.
7. Say NO to New topic during exam days-Student must not study any new topic in the last weeks. It would bring unnecessary anxiety and can disturb your overall preparation. You should instead keep on honing the previously practiced topics and solve mock test papers. Studying more or all is not required if you have not studied it previously, but regular revision of the topics what you have studied is the key to success.
8. Make notes for formulas and important concepts-All the important experimental questions, concepts, constants must be written separately in a short note so as to keep them revising on one go this will help you in NAT type questions. Keep on going through special revision and superfast revision videos of iguruji
9. Add exercise/yoga, meditation and Power Nap in the day Schedule
- As you must have heard – healthy mind lives in healthy body but Being a biology student you must also understand the reverse is also true “only a healthy mind can have a healthy body.” Just maintain the calmness of your brain by taking small breaks from studies – for basic PRANAYAM, MEDITATION and YOGA (many videos are available on you tube)
- During the preparation days Avoid late night food just respect the circadian Rhythm of the body “sleep at night work in day”
- During the day hours take at least two short power nap after every 5 – 6 hours of study
- Avoid Alcohol / cigarette / excessive caffeine consumption for getting boost
10. Ask the expert-
- You must take help from those genuine friends who have qualified the exam in past. Keep on watching “tips for ICMR JRF ” video on aadharinstitute jaipur youtube channel
- You can have even live discussion on this channel tune to time
- Develop a positive attitude in life especially for this exam. Never think that this exam is the last hope in Life. Don’t worry you have a brighter life ahead this is just a milestone
11. Avoid travelling at the night just before exam especially if your centre in another city just reach one day before the exam take rest and proper sleep.