ABOUT DU/BHU/RU BOTANY ENTRANCE
Tentative date of exam notification comes usually in FEB (BHU) May(DU and RU)
Tentative date of filling forms- March/ April/May
Tentative date of exam: May(BHU) JUNE(DU& RU)
Pattern of DU/BHU/RU BOTANY ENTRANCE
DU botany entrance: 100 question in 2 hours
BHU botany entrance: 120 question in 3 hours
RU botany entrance: 100 question in 2 hours
Syllabus of DU/BHU/RU BOTANY ENTRANCE:-
Syllabus to be covered for Botany entrance in iGuruji-Aadhar institute
Archaebacteria, eubacteria and cyanobacteria – ultra-structure and reproduction; Mycoplasma, Spiroplasma and Phytoplasma – General characters and role in causing plant diseases; Microbiology of water, air and soil.
General account of diseases caused by plant pathogens etiology of red rot of sugarcane, rust of wheat, covered smut of wheat, loose smut of wheat, green ear disease of bajra, leaf spot and smut of jowar, ergot and smut of bajra, root knot and rot diseases of vegetables; disease control and the role of information technology in disease management.
Algae of diversified habitats (Terrestrial, Fresh water, Marine); Thallus organization, cell structure and reproduction in different classes/groups; Criteria of classification of algae; Economic importance of algae.
General characteristics of different classes/groups of fungi, cell ultrastructure, cell wall composition, reproduction, heterothallism, para sexuality, recent trends in classification, economic importance of fungi; General account and economic importance of mycorrhiza and lichens.
General characters, structure, reproduction, evolution and inter-relationships of bryophytes, pteridophytes and gymnosperms.
Taxonomic hierarchy, principles of nomenclature, taxonomic tools, important systems of classification (Bentham and Hooker; Engler and Prantl; Hutchinson and Takhtajan). Taxonomy of some selected families (Leguminosae, Cucurbitaceae, Asteraceae, Asclepiadaceae, Solanaceae, Euphorbiaceae and Poaceae). Phylogeny of angiosperms.
Morphology & anatomy
General concepts of plant morphology, Plant anatomy – types of tissue; Organization of root and shoot apical meristems; Secondary growth (normal and anomalous) and Anomalous primary structures of root and stem.
Development of male and female gametophytes, pollination, pollen pistil interaction, fertilization, endosperm development and embryogenesis;
Organization of shoot and root apical meristem; shoot and root development; leaf development and phyllotaxy; transition to flowering, floral meristems and floral development in Arabidopsis
ECOLOGY and biodiversity
Basic concepts of ecology, ecological factors affecting the plants. Principle of limiting factors; population characteristics, population interaction, r and K selection, genecology and range extensions, community characteristics, community classification, continuum concept, ecological niche, plant succession in various habitats, concept of climax. Structure and function of ecosystem, energy flow and biogeochemical cycles (N,P,C,S), primary production, plant indicators, major biomes of the world. Phytogeographical regions of India, vegetation of Rajasthan. Ecosystem services.
Environmental pollution- air, water, noise and soil; Greenhouse effect, Ozone layer depletion, Acid rain; Concept of biodiversity with special reference to India, Hot spots, Rare, Endangered and Endemic plant species , strategies for conservation of the flora. Bio-monitoring. Environmental Impact Assessment.
Plant civilization, centers of diversity/origin of crop plants, gene diversity Utilization, cultivation and improvement of food plants (rice, wheat, bajra, pulses, green-gram, moth and beans), Oil seeds (mustard, soybean and ground nut), drugs (Rauvolfia, Ephedra, Papaver, Atropa, Cinchona and Withania), fibre (cotton, jute and coir) and plants of industrial value (Tobacco, sugarcane, tea and coffee).
- Plant-water relation, membrane transport and translocation of water and
- Photosynthesis – Pigments, photophosphorylation, Mechanism of photosynthesis, photorespiration, photosynthesis in C4 plants, CAM.
- Seed dormancy and germination, hormonal regulation of growth and development. Physiological effects and mechanism of action of auxins, gibberellins, cytokinins, ethylene, abscisic acid and jasmonic acid,
- plant rythms and biological clock, secondary metabolites,
- plant responses to biotic and abiotic stresses. Physiology of flowering- Photoperiodism and Vernalization.
- Amino Acid Structure and Properties, Peptide Bond Formation and Primary Protein Structure, Secondary Protein Structure, Supersecondary Structure and Protein Motifs, Tertiary and Quaternary Protein Structure
- Enzyme : Types, Properties & enzyme action. Vitamins.
- Metabolism of carbohydrates :Glycolysis, Krebs’ cycle, oxidative phosphorylation, interconversion of glycogen & glucose in liver.
- Metabolism of protein :Deamination, transamination, decarboxylation. Synthesis of protein & urea, Ornithine cycle, fate of carbon skeleton.
- Metabolism of lipids:Beta-oxidative pathway of fatty acids, brief account of biosynthesis of triglycerides, cholesterol & its metabolism.
- Metabolism of nucleic acids.
Structure and function of cell and cytoplasmic constituents: Structure of nucleus, mitochondria, Golgi bodies, endoplasmic reticulum, lysosomes and ribosomes. Cell cycle and cell division.
- Membrane structure and function: Structure of model membrane, Lipid bilayer and membrane protein, diffusion, osmosis, ion channels, Active transport membrane pumps, mechanism of solving and regulations of intracellular transport, Electrical properties of membrane.
- Cell signaling: Hormones and their receptors, cell surface receptor, signaling through G-protein coupled receptors, signal transduction pathways, second messengers, regulation of signaling pathways,
- Cancer: Changes in progenitor cells, oncogenes, tumor suppressor genes, cancer and the cell cycle,
- Structure and types of nucleic acids. DNA replication, repair and recombination (Unit of replication, enzymes involved, replication origin and replication fork, fidelity of replication, extra chromosomal replicons, DNA damage and repair mechanisms, homologous and site-specific recombination). RNA synthesis and processing (transcription factors and machinery, formation of initiation complex, transcription activator and repressor, RNA polymerases, capping, elongation, and termination, RNA processing, RNA editing, splicing, and polyadenylation, structure and function of different types of RNA, RNA transport).
- Protein synthesis and processing (Ribosome, formation of initiation complex, initiation factors and their regulation, elongation and elongation factors, termination, genetic code, aminoacylation of tRNA, tRNA-identity, aminoacyl tRNA synthetase, and translational proof-reading, translational inhibitors, Posttranslational modification of proteins).
- Control of gene expression at transcription and translation level (regulating the expression of phages, viruses, prokaryotic and eukaryotic genes, role of chromatin in gene expression and gene silencing).
- Electrophoresis, Centrifugation, Chromatography, Colorimetry Spectrophotometry. Microscopic techniques: Light microscopy, Confocal, Florescence, Phase contrast, Electron and Atomic force microscopes and images processing methods in microscopy.
- Radiolabelling Techniques; Types and properties of Radio isotopes, Tracer techniques,
- Molecular cloning of DNA & RNA fragments in bacterial and eukaryotic systems.
- Expression of recombinant proteins using bacterial, animal and plant vectors.
- Isolation of specific nucleic acid sequences, Generation of genomic and cDNA libraries. FISH, GISH. Plasmid, phage, cosmid, BAC and YAC vectors.
- In vitro mutagenesis and deletion techniques, gene knock out in bacterial and eukaryotic organisms.
- RFLP, RAPD and AFLP techniques.
Eligibility for DU/BHU/RU BOTANY ENTRANCE:
BSc appearing / completed
Tips to crack DU/BHU/RU BOTANY ENTRANCE
– Aadhar Institute run special crash course for BHU entrance crash course for DU Entrance and crash course for RU Entrance.
- Start high energy preparation for exam at least 4 months before the date of MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE but a silent preparation must have been started at least one year before
- Keep Solving and analyzing-It is advisable that you solve full length mock test papers and Go through all previous years papers of MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE to have an understanding what to prepare for MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE . It will develop an understanding in you about your performance in actual MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE exam where you exactly stand MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE
Students must try to solve the test in iguruji online app downloadable from google playstore and make yourself adaptable to MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE .
3. Refer the good text books for Clearing the concepts-Students must clear their concepts with the help of good books and updated study material like AADHAR INSTITUTE STUDY MATERIAL FOR MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE so as not to face hurdles during the exam. The questions in MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE are designed to bring out your understanding and basic knowledge of BOTANY. Try to be more concise and precise over concepts and basic knowledge rather than running on path of blind learning and going through everything.
4. Give special attention
To crack typical M.Sc. entrances targeting Delhi University, Banaras Hindu University, Hyderabad University, Rajasthan University come must go through the syllabus of B.Sc. of respective university
– If you are thinking for BHU entrance for M.Sc. Botany Entrance give special attention to life cycles of lower plant, morphology & anatomy of angiosperm and their family descriptions and also prepare very good level of ecology and rest other subject you can pay average attention
– If you are planning for Delhi University, M.Sc. Botany Entrance give more time to modern subject also like molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, cell biology. In DU M.Sc. Botany entrance the questions from classical portions are equally important like anatomy, physiology etc.
– If your target is Rajasthan university classical parts of botany, life cycle of lower plants, morphology anatomy must be well prepared beside regular genetics, cell biology, biochemistry, molecular biology.
– In all types of M.Sc. Botany entrance prepare your own short notes from all available book especially for economic botany, plant development plant pathology etc.
5. Make a schedule for Revision and tests –The regular revision matters a lot more than any other things during the preparation time. Watch iguruji video for making strategy and schedule for MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE you must revise all the topics which you have studied during this entire course of preparation. At many points you will find that remembering all the things simultaneously becomes hard; make short key words based notes and map notes to quickly revise all points. Keep on appearing for video supported tests for MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE on iguruji app
6. Say NO to New topic during exam days-Student must not study any new topic in the last weeks. It would bring unnecessary anxiety and can disturb your overall preparation. You should instead keep on honing the previously practiced topics and solve mock test papers. Studying more or all is not required if you have not studied it previously, but regular revision of the topics what you have studied is the key to success.
7. Make notes for formulas and important concepts-All the important experimental questions, concepts, constants must be written separately in a short note so as to keep them revising on one go this will help you in NAT type questions. Keep on going through special revision and superfast revision videos of iguruji
8. Add exercise/yoga, meditation and Power Nap in the day Schedule
- As you must have heard – healthy mind lives in healthy body but Being a biology student you must also understand the reverse is also true “only a healthy mind can have a healthy body.” Just maintain the calmness of your brain by taking small breaks from studies – for basic PRANAYAM, MEDITATION and YOGA (many videos are available on you tube)
- During the preparation days Avoid late night food just respect the circadian Rhythm of the body “sleep at night work in day”
- During the day hours take at least two short power nap after every 5 – 6 hours of study
- Avoid Alcohol / cigarette / excessive caffeine consumption for getting boost
9. Ask the expert-
- You must take help from those genuine friends who have qualified the exam in past. Keep on watching “tips for MSC BOTANY ENTRANCE ” video on aadharinstitute jaipur youtube channel
- You can have even live discussion on this channel tune to time
- Develop a positive attitude in life especially for this exam. Never think that this exam is the last hope in Life. Don’t worry you have a brighter life ahead this is just a milestone
10 Avoid travelling at the night just before exam especially if your centre in another city just reach one day before the exam take rest and proper sleep.