ABOUT IIT-JAM BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES(BL)
Tentative date of exam notification : – August / september
Tentative date of filling forms: – september / October
Tentative date of exam: –February
Pattern of IIT-JAM BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES(BL)
- Section – A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions ( MCQ )carrying one or two marks each. Each MCQ type question has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
- Section – B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions ( MSQ )carrying two marks each. Each MSQ type question is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or more than one choice(s) that are correct out of the four given choices. The candidate gets full credit if he / she selects all the correct answers only and no wrong answers. Candidates can mark the answer(s) by clicking the choice(s).
- Section – C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type ( NAT ) questions carrying one or two marks each.For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number which needs to be entered using the virtual keyboard on the monitor. No choices will be shown for these type of questions. Candidates have to enter the answer by using a virtual numeric keypad.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero mark.
In Section – A ( MCQ ), wrong answer will result in negative marks.
For all 1 mark questions, 1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
For all 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
In Section – B ( MSQ ), there is no negative and no partial marking provisions.
There is no negative marking in Section – C ( NAT ) as well.
Syllabus of IIT-JAM BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES(BL)
BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES (BL)
General Biology: Taxonomy of plants and animals; pro-and eukaryotic organisms; cell organelles and their function; multicellular organization; general physiology; energy transformations; internal transport systems of plants and animals; photosynthesis; respiration; regulation of body fluids and excretory mechanisms; reproductive biology; plant and animal hormones and their action; nervous systems; animal behavior; plant and animal diseases; Mendelian genetics and heredity; basics of developmental biology; biology of populations and communities; evolution; basic principles of ecology; genesis and diversity of organisms.
Basics of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biophysics:
Buffers; trace elements in biological systems; enzymes and proteins; vitamins; biological oxidations, photosynthesis; carbohydrates and lipids and their metabolism; digestion and absorption; detoxifying mechanisms; nucleic acids; nucleic acid metabolism; nature of gene and its function; genetic code; synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins; regulation of gene expression; operons.
Structure of biomolecules; intra and intermolecular forces; thermodynamics and kinetics of biological systems; enzyme mechanisms and kinetics; principles of X-ray diffraction; IR- and UV- spectroscopy; analytical and biochemical techniques
Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology: Classification of microorganisms and their characterization; nutrient requirement for growth; laboratory techniques in microbiology; pathogenic microorganisms and disease; applied microbiology; viruses and fungi; microbial genetics; cell theory; cell architecture; cell division; types of chromosome structure; biochemical genetics- inborn errors of metabolisms; innate and adaptive immunity, antigen antibodies; principles of processes of development.
Mathematical Sciences: Mathematical functions (algebraic, exponential, trigonometric) and their derivatives (derivatives and integrals of simple functions); permutations and combinations; basic probability and volumetric calculations.
Eligibility for IIT-JAM BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES(BL)
The Applicants who qualify in JAM shall have to fulfill the following Eligibility Requirement (ER) for admissions in IISc and IITs.
All Applicants admitted through JAM should have a Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 55% aggregate marks, without rounding off, (taking into account all subjects, including Languages and Subsidiaries, all years combined) for General/OBC-NCL Category Applicants and at least 50% aggregate marks, without rounding off, (taking into account all subjects, including Languages and Subsidiaries, all years combined) for SC/ST and PwD Category Applicants in the qualifying degree.
- For Applicants with letter grades/CGPA (instead of percentage of marks), the equivalence in percentage of marks will be decided by the Admitting Institute(s).
- Proof of having passed the Qualifying Degree with the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ) as specified by the admitting institute should be submitted by September 30, of year of admission.
At the time of admission, all admitted Applicants will have to submit a physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form.
At the time of admission, the admitted Applicants may also have to undergo a physical fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute. In case a candidate is not found physically fit to pursue his/her chosen course of study, his/her admission is liable to be cancelled.
(a) It will entirely be the responsibility of the Candidate to prove that he/she satisfies the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for Admissions.
(b) The Admitting Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate who is found to have been admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations in force.
- There’s no age limit to appear in JAM neither are there any restrictions on the number of times you may appear the exam.
The only prerequisite is a Bachelor’s degree with atleast 2 years or 4 semesters worth of the subject material studied in which you wish to appear for JAM.
Make sure you have 55% aggregate in your BSc or BTech
Cutoff IIT-JAM BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES(BL)
Tips to crack IIT-JAM BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES(BL)
Prepare well before exam
– Solve previous
– This exam will make you eligible for interview in IISc Bangalore and for M.Sc. in NIT Rourkela, IIT-Indore and M.Sc. food tech in JIEST Sibpur.
– All topics given in syllabus will be asked in a balanced manner so give equal manner while preparing the IIT-JAM BL
– Never skip the topics related to biostatistics and classification
– Classical botany and zoology topic will usually go around classification and development biology parts
– most of the question is this exam look like typical medical entrances level but be sure they are always tricky so take care in solving these questions.